A book is a collection of sheets of paper or similar materials attached together at one side so that they can open and be held open while they are being read. Books also refer to a set of instructions, ideas, tales, or expertise that someone has written for someone else.
What is the Best Selling Book of All Time?
A best-selling book is a book that has sold a large number of copies. The Guinness Book of World Records recognises the Bible as the best-selling book of all time, with over five billion copies in print and distributed all over the world.
Bible scriptures are believed to be holy and precious to Judaism, Samaritans, Christians, and others. The Bible had multiple authors, and the two parts that constitute it are commonly referred to as the Old Testament and the New Testament.
Did You Know?
- The Holy Bible was one of the first and most widely translated books in history. It has so far been translated into 3384 languages.
- Gutenberg’s Bible was the first book ever printed in the western world utilising moveable metal type, and it was also the first book to make use of this new invention.
- The Gutenberg Bible is the world’s first machine printed book (the oldest surviving mechanically printed book), with the first copies made between 1454 and 1455 AD.
- James Lenox brought the first Gutenberg Bible to the North American continent in 1847; cost: $2,500; was the first book to be purchased by a US citizen and is currently in the New York Public Library.
- In 1978, a copy of the Gutenberg Bible sold for $2.4 million, making it the first book to sell for more than $1 million.
- The King James Bible has given 257 phrases to the English language, more than any other single source, including Shakespeare’s works.